POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : function optimization question : Re: function optimization question Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:30:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: function optimization question
From: Jan Walzer
Date: 31 Mar 2002 17:50:57
Message: <3ca792d1@news.povray.org>
"Thorsten Froehlich" <tho### [at] trfde> wrote:
> > I once had a chance, to speed up the Bresenham by a factor of 3 by a similar
> > method. The thing is that you can decide at runtime, which opcodes get
> > executed, depending on some runtime values As there are(were) different
> > opcodes used for a near-jump (target-address, beein in the same codesegment)
> > and a far-jump (jump to anywhere in memory) there was no easy chance, to work
> > only with pointers, and only change these...
>
> Not only is this a terrible idea to code anything, it also kills all modern
[...]

> On any reasonable architecture not supporting 25 years of eight bit legacy
> backward compatibility and other junk self-modifying code will fortunately
> break! :-)

Hey ... for my studies, I had the chance to "port" this x86-code to
MIPS-ASM ... It was perfectly possible, meaning, it worked...
... I couldn't messure any speedup, as it run on a software-MIPS-simulater,
called "SPIM" ... if it was useful, is another chapter, but at least it was
fun (for me, at least) ...

... but hey: We all know, you prefer Mac ;) ...